The R65 and R80 feature a custom 6.8-inch2 Air Motion Transformer (AMT) tweeter that responds to the subtlest waveforms and the highest frequencies. This allows you to hear the “air” and the greater sense of space that is characteristic of audiophile recordings. The R series’ transparent and highly accurate sound makes them ideal for use in both commercial and home recording studios as well as broadcast and post-production environments.
Superior Transient Response
In order to dampen resonance peaks at higher frequencies, conventional dome tweeters are injected with fluid to raise their mass, sacrificing transient response time. By contrast, the custom-designed AMT tweeter in the R65 and R80 uses an incredibly thin, folded Kapton membrane (< 0.01 mm) with an inlayed aluminum circuit functioning as the voice coil, allowing the tweeter to move at the same instant as the electric current. The resulting reactive response time provides marked clarity and superior transient reproduction.
Clean Stereo Image
Unlike a traditional 1-inch dome tweeter, which provides a mere 506 mm2 projection area, an unfolded AMT tweeter diaphragm provides 8 to 13 times the projection area so its sound coverage is much larger. For example, the 4,400 mm2 PreSonus R65 and R80 tweeter provides coverage equivalent to that of a 3-inch dome tweeter. This enables the R-series monitors to provide a much wide stereo soundstage than traditional designs.
Both the R65 and R80 provide a wide lateral dispersion and very limited vertical dispersion. The narrow vertical dispersion helps to reduce reflections from the ceiling and desktop that can cause phase coherence issues. The broad, even horizontal dispersion creates a wide sweet spot. Because they are less subject to room-anomaly interference, the R65 and R80 react more predictably and sound more consistent from room to room.
The R65 and R80 utilize 6.5-inch (R65) and 8-inch (R80), custom-coated, woven Kevlar® low-frequency drivers. This rigid cone maintains a more consistent dispersion pattern across its frequency response range. Biamped and driven by a 150W Class D amplifier—making the R series some of the most powerful monitors in their category—these monitors deliver an open, clear, and less fatiguing listening experience.
Have it Your Way.
R series monitors offer user-adjustable contour features for optimizing the monitors for your mixing space. This enables full integration into any studio environment. A four-position Acoustic Space switch helps to compensate for the boundary bass boost that occurs when the monitor is placed near a wall. A high-frequency driver level control helps to further mitigate room anomalies. An onboard highpass filter makes it easy to integrate a Temblor subwoofer into your monitor setup.
With three different types of audio inputs, it’s easy to feed audio to your R-Series monitors from a mixer, an interface, a media player, or almost any other line-level source. The R65 and R80 provide balanced XLR, balanced ¼” TRS, and unbalanced RCA line-level inputs.
The responsive nature of the R65 and R80 AMT monitor design provides lifelike sonic reproduction that will allow you to hear the room and breath in your recordings. The transparent sound and responsive transient reproduction make them an ideal solution for anyone who is mixing high-resolution audio.
Components and construction
- 2-way active AMT design provides articulate high-frequency response and wide stereo imaging
- Custom-designed, 6.8-inch, AMT ribbon tweeter responds to the subtlest waveforms and the highest frequencies
- 6.5/8-inch Kevlar LF drivers provide transparent mid- and low-frequency reproduction for clean sound and punchy bass
- Balanced XLR and ¼-inch TRS plus unbalanced RCA inputs provide flexibility for seamless integration into any environment
- Acoustic Space settings (Linear, -1.5 dB, -3 dB, -6 dB) compensate for room placement
Power and safety
- Biamped 150W RMS (LF = 100W, HF = 50W), Class D power amplifier with switching power supply
- RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turn-on/off transient, and subsonic filter protection
- Energy Conservation Mode (with enable/disable) lowers standby power to <0.5W
- External mains fuse
- Internal power supply with IEC connector